ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

University of Texas Tower

Alle 19 Bilder ansehen Daten als PDF Bilder erwerben


University of Texas Tower
MAI, University of Texas Administration Tower, UT Tower, Main Building


Struktur allgemein

existent [fertiggestellt]
Neue spanische Kolonialarchitektur


Universitäre Büroflächen
Restaurant Bibliothek


  • Before the observation deck was closed in the 1970's, it was visited by up to 70,000 people a year.
  • The tower shaft is 59 feet wide. The tower is 74 feet wide at its base.
  • Tallest building built during the 1930s in Austin.
  • The tower bares a striking resemblance to the Camden City Hall in Camden, New Jersey.
  • The tower has consistently been used by the The Weather Bureau as a "yardstick" for measuring cloud ceiling height in Austin.
  • The cornerstone of the original 1899 University of Texas Old Main can be found near the entrance of the UT Tower on the south facade. It is the oldest architectural artifact on the campus.
  • When the University of Texas wins certain games such as the football national title game, the UT Tower is lit in burnt orange colors from top to bottom. An 11-story "1" appears on all 4 facades.
  • Built as Austin's second-tallest building, the tower sparked controversy because it was the first building to rival the State Capitol's height. Its site is 6 feet higher (606 ft above sea level) than the capitol atop "College Hill".
  • The International Company, (which later became IBM), installed the clock mechanism. The clock was set and starting keeping time for the first time in 1936.
  • The four clock faces of the tower are 12 feet in diameter, (14 feet across rim to rim). The rim around the clock is clad in gold leaf.
  • The tower occupies the original site of the University of Texas Old Main which was razed to make way for the UT Tower.
  • The office of the president is on the 4th floor.
  • The tower has become a symbol of Austin since its construction, almost as much of a symbol as the State Capitol, and is the centerpiece of the University of Texas at Austin.
  • In 1966, a student on the observation deck shot and killed 13 people, hitting 30 others. The deck was closed in the early 1970s because of 2 attempted suicides from the deck and its dark history. In 1999, the deck was reopened with guard rails in place and guided tours.
  • In August 1965 a fire started in the 20th floor bookstacks, believed to be started by sparks from a torch, causing some books to catch on fire. There was considerable damage to the Hoblitzelle Theater Arts Library which houses the P.T. Barnum and Harry Houdini collections.
  • The UT Tower is also a 56-bell carillon, the largest and tallest carillon in Texas. The largest bell weighs in at 7,350 pounds.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen


2300 Inner Campus Drive
Corner of Inner Campus Drive and University Avenue

Technische Daten

328,00 ft
307,07 ft
307,07 ft
231,00 ft
59,00 ft
59,00 ft

Beteiligte Firmen


Besondere Eigenschaften

  • Eines der bekannten Bauwerke dieser Stadt
  • Städtischer Denkmalschutz
  • Uhr(en) außen sichtbar
  • Flutlicht bestrahlt nachts das Gebäude
  • Aussichtsplattform auf dem Dach
  • Aussichtsetage ist vorhanden
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings