ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

Guild Church of St. Martin within Ludgate

Alle 13 Bilder ansehen Daten als PDF Bilder erwerben

Identifikation

Guild Church of St. Martin within Ludgate
St. Martin within Ludgate
139779

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Kirche
existent [fertiggestellt]

Nutzung

Kirche

Fakten

  • The name of the church refers to Ludgate, one of six gates that used to stand in the City of London, demolished in 1670. The name is believed to derive from Lud, a pagan god.
  • The present church spire was designed by Christopher Wren to act as a foil to the dome of his St. Paul's Cathedral.
  • Attributed by the esteemed architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner as having been designed by Dr Robert Hooke.
  • Interior wood carvings are by Grinling Gibbons while the organ was built by Bernard Schmidt in 1684.
  • The first church to occupy this site was built just inside the Lud Gate around 1,300 years ago by King Cadwal whose remains are rumoured to be buried in the crypt.
  • The mediaeval church which was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1666, was originally completed in 1437.
  • Cited in Simon Jenkins' 'England's Thousand Best Churches'.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

Ludgate Hill
Ludgate Hill
EC4
London
England
Großbritannien

Technische Daten

158,01 ft
158,01 ft
1684

Beteiligte Firmen

Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings