ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

Porphyrogenitus Palace

Daten als PDF Bilder erwerben

Identifikation

Porphyrogenitus Palace
Tekfur Palace , Porphyrogenitos Palace
140285

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Palast
existent [fertiggestellt]
Byzantinisch

Nutzung

Museum

Fakten

  • The Palace Of The Porphyrogenitus, or "Tekfur Palace" as it is commonly known, is the only surviving part of the Palace Of Blachernae, of which only the foundations remain today. It was built as an extension to the Palace Of Blachernae, and its construction was executed between the 10th and 14th Centuries (due to the constant addition of various details). In the last days of the Byzantine Empire, top Governors of the state also used the palace, thus the Turkish name "Tekfur Palace" (Palace Of The Governor/Prince). Most of the early Ottoman emperors married with the daughters of the Byzantine "Tekfur"s (Governors/Princes) in order to establish a better diplomatic relationship with the Byzantine Empire.
  • Most Byzantine emperors used both the Great Palace and the Palace Of Blachernae as their official residences, while the last Byzantine emperor Constantine XI (nicknamed by historians as "The Last Of The Caesars", being the last reigning descendant of Julius Caesar) spent the final days of his life at the Palace Of The Porphyrogenitus, shortly before the Turks took Constantinople on May 29, 1453.
  • "Porphyrogenitus" means "Born In The Purple", as the late Roman and East Roman (Byzantine) emperors were all born in the famous "Purple Room" of the Great Palace of Constantinople, and wore purple clothes throughout their lives (purple being the official imperial colour of both the Roman and the Byzantine Empires). "Porphyrogenitus" was also used as a title for the "Crown Prince" (Heir Of The Throne). Usually the oldest son of the Roman and Byzantine emperors carried the title "Porphyrogenitus". Nowadays, the phrase "born in the purple" is used in modern English to mean that someone had luck and wealth right from the birth, similar to the Roman and Byzantine emperors.
  • It was built by the Byzantine emperor Manuel Comnenus I between 1143 and 1180, but is identified as the "Palace Of Constantine Porphyrogenitus", a son of emperor Michael VIII Palaiologus.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

Edirnekapi
Istanbul
Region Marmara
Türkei

Technische Daten

1143
1180

Besondere Eigenschaften

  • Eines der bekannten Bauwerke dieser Stadt
  • UNESCO-Denkmal
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings