ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

Morris Island Lighthouse

Daten als PDF


Morris Island Lighthouse
Charleston Main Light


Struktur allgemein

existent [fertiggestellt]




  • On June 15, 1962, the U.S. Coast Guard decommissioned the lighthouse, and the newly constructed Charleston Light replaced it.
  • This replaced the Second Morris Island Lighthouse which was destroyed during the American Civil War.
  • Over 1,000,000 bricks were used in its construction.
  • The design of the tower is similar to that of the famous Outer Banks Lighthouses in having very distinctive black and white stripes.
  • Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
  • Was first illuminated on October 1, 1876, and had a range of just over 19 miles in guiding ships into Charleston Harbor.
  • The base of the lighthouse has a diameter of 33 feet, whilst the top has a diameter of only 16 feet and 8 inches.
  • Today the lighthouse still stands and private donations are being collected to completely restore it to its past grandeur.
  • In 1873 the U.S. Congress made an initial appropriation of $60,000 to cover the initial engineering costs of the lighthouse.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen


Morris Island, across the Lighthouse Inlet from Folly Beach
Folly Beach
South Carolina

Technische Daten

158,00 ft
158,00 ft
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings