ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

Caledonian Park Clock Tower

Alle 9 Bilder ansehen Daten als PDF Bilder erwerben

Identifikation

Caledonian Park Clock Tower
Metropolitan Cattle Market Clock Tower
227006

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Uhren-/Glockenturm
existent [fertiggestellt]

Fakten

  • Caledonian Park Clock Tower was bombed during an air raid in 1940 and the clock was started again in 1953.
  • The tower formed the centrepiece of the Metropolitan Cattle Market, opened in 1855 to handle livestock following their ban from Smithfield near the City of London and was built on the site of the 17th century Copenhagen House.
  • The tower is a north London landmark and can be seen for miles around.
  • The tower houses one of the largest turret clocks in London.
  • The tower is of rusticated stonework with eight buttressed arches topped with spherical finials at the base.
  • The clock faces are illuminated at night.
  • An inscription on the foundation stone reads: The Rt. Hon. Thomas Sydney, Lord Mayor First stone of the Clock Tower laid in the Seventeenth Year Of the Reign of Queen Victoria by Henry Lowman Taylor Esq., Chairman of the Committee Whose Names surround the City Arms, March 24th 1854.
  • The enormous cattle market was opened in 1855 by the Prince Consort and traded until 1939; today the clock tower is all that remains.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

Clock Tower Place
Clock Tower Place
N7
Islington
London
England
Großbritannien

Technische Daten

169,00 ft
169,00 ft
1854
1855

Beteiligte Firmen

James B. Bunning
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings