ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

Split Rock Lighthouse

Alle 13 Bilder ansehen Daten als PDF Bilder erwerben

Identifikation

Split Rock Lighthouse
239885

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Leuchtturm
existent [fertiggestellt]
Backstein
schwarz hellgelb

Nutzung

Schiffleitung

Fakten

  • The lighthouse at Split Rock was constructed in response to 29 major shipwrecks along Lake Superior's North Shore in November 1905, killing more than 200 mariners.
  • The area is noted for powerful storms and the massive iron ore deposits wreaked havoc on early compass navigation, causing deviations of up to 2.2 degrees.
  • No roads existed to the site, so all construction materials were brought to the site by water, and lifted up the 127-ft cliff.
  • The light is 168-ft above the surface of Lake Superior, and can be seen for 22 miles.
  • The lighthouse was decommissioned and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Ownership transferred to the Minnesota Historical Society in 1971.
  • The complex has since been restored to its 1920s appearance, and has become one of the most-visited lighthouses in the United States.
  • The lighthouse is closed to visitors during winter, except for one day to commemorate the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald on November 10, 1975, the last major shipwreck on Lake Superior.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

3713 Split Rock Lighthouse Road, Two Harbors
55616
Beaver Bay
Minnesota
U.S.A.

Technische Daten

2
0
1909
1910
0
0

Beteiligte Firmen


Ralph Russell Tinkham

Anzeigen
Anzeigen
Anzeigen

Besondere Eigenschaften

  • Eines der bekannten Bauwerke dieser Stadt
  • Nationales Denkmal
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings