At the very base of the tower lies bronze eagle statues, which are meant to symbolize the United States weeping for the fallen soliders of the Civil War.
The fours male statues one the second tier of the monument represent the Navy, Infantry, Calvary, and Artillery. The four women statues on the third tier represent Victory, History, Emancipation, and Union.
Standing atop the 50-foot granite column lies the 15-foot tall "Michigania." Portrayed as an Amazon warrior, Michigania represents Michigan, pointing southward to the Confederate enemy.
At the monument’s dedication on April 9, 1872, Generals Philip Sheridan and George Custer gave speeches before a crowd of 25,000. The monument remains a centerpiece of Campus Martius today.
During construction of Campus Martius Park in 2005 the monument was moved several feet to the south. A fountain was added around the base at this time.
The lowest tier contains four eagles, representing America bowing to those lost in the Civil War. The next tier contains four male statues representing the Navy, Infantry, Calvary and Artillery branches of the US Army. Above that are four female statues representing victory, history, emancipation and union. The monument is topped with a female statue which represents Michigan.
Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?