plazaorsurroundings-view-of-the-western-facadehttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/444234-Medium-plazaorsurroundings-view-of-the-western-facade.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/444234-Large-plazaorsurroundings-view-of-the-western-facade.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderenfromfaraway-view-from-the-westhttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/444261-Medium-fromfaraway-view-from-the-west.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/444261-Large-fromfaraway-view-from-the-west.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderenfullheightview-view-from-the-southwesthttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/444263-Medium-fullheightview-view-from-the-southwest.jpghttps://www.emporis.com/images/show/444263-Large-fullheightview-view-from-the-southwest.jpgGraaf van Vlaanderen
* Der Preis versteht sich als Endpreis inklusive gesetzlicher Mehrwertsteuer, Versandkosten und sonstiger Preisbestandteile. Wir sind gesetzlich verpflichtet, Sie darauf hinzuweisen, dass für die angebotenen Downloads keine Liefer- oder Versandkosten anfallen. Beim Herunterladen von Bildern und anderen Medien können jedoch weitere Kosten durch Ihren Internetprovider entstehen.
The nave was completed by the end of the 12th century. The towers of the transept were finished in 1225 and the western façade in 1245.
All four towers at the transept and western façade are unique.
In the middle of the 13th century the apse was reconstructed and flying buttresses were added.
The width of the nave is 31 m.
The western façade is considered the first gothic façade.
The width of the transept is 22 m.
During reconstruction of the apse, heavy stones were transported by oxen up the hill to the cathedral. In homage to the near 'miraculous' efforts of these beasts, ox statues were cited on the second highest level of the towers of the western façade.
Originally the cathedral was designed to have seven towers. The building ended up with five towers, one of which was destroyed during the French revolution.
A lantern tower is located at the intersection of nave and transept. This is something which can be found in many later examples of Norman Gothic architecture.
The flat roof of the towers of the western front measures 56 m in height, while those on the transept measure 60.5 m.
When construction started, the choir was built first, followed by the transept, which was finished in 1180.
The seven gargoyles located at the east side of the choir represent the Seven Deadly Sins: lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, wrath, envy and pride.
During the reconstruction works of the 13th century, the radiating chevet was rebuilt into a larger, straight chevet.
The cathedral measures 24 m under the vault.
The cathedral is built on a 100 meter hill, dominating the surroundings.
In 1870 the cathedral was damaged after an ammunition magazine in the citadel was blown up by an engineer, when the Germans entered the town. Many civilians were killed in this explosion.
The cathedral is completely vaulted: sexpartite rib vaults in nave and choir, while the transept uses quadripartite rib vault (regular vaults).
The northern tower is also called the 'Thomas Becket tower' (in memory of Becket who was the Archbishop of Canterbury), following his stay in the city after he took flight from England.
Like many of the first gothic churches, this cathedral has a four level elevation.
The structural highest part of the cathedral is the pinnacle mounted on the flat roof of the western tower, south of the transept. This tower is also called ‘la tour d’horloge’.
Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?