ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

St. David's Anglican Cathedral

Alle 7 Bilder ansehen Daten als PDF Bilder erwerben

Identifikation

St. David's Anglican Cathedral
271426

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Kirche
existent [fertiggestellt]
Neugothisch

Fakten

  • On 8 January 1868 the foundation stone of the present St David’s Cathedral (the third St David’s Church) was laid by HRH Prince Alfred the Duke of Edinburgh in the presence of Governor Thomas Gore Browne, Premier Sir Richard Dry and a large concourse of clergy and laity.
  • Bodley was a leading exponent of Gothic Revival in ecclesiastical architecture in England during the 19th century, however he never visited the Hobart site.
  • On 3 February 1891 the foundation stone of the Chancel was laid by Sir Robert Hamilton KCB Governor of Tasmania in the presence of Bishop Henry Hutchinson Montgomery.
  • Work did not commence on erection of the tower until 1929 when an anonymous legacy of £7,000 plus other gifts started the Tower and Cloisters Fund.
  • Work progressed under supervision of architect Alan Walker with contractor H W Pease.
  • On 1 March 1931 (St David’s Day) the cloisters and the base of the tower were opened and consecrated by the Bishop of Tasmania the Right Reverend Robert Snowdon Hay DD.
  • Sixty eight years after the commencement of the cathedral, the structure was finally completed on 28 October 1936 upon the opening of the bell tower.
  • Built between 1868 and 1936 Saint David's is widely regarded as the finest example outside England of the work of the leading Victorian architect, George F. Bodley.
  • The first Cathedral of this name was built in St David's Park, above the grave of Lieutenant-Governor David Collins, but it was blown down by a gale in 1810.
  • In 1874, two cathedrals stood on the same site for seven months until the original was pulled down.
  • In 2005, the number of bells was increased from eight to 12, making its peal one of the biggest in Australia.
  • On 12 January 1892 the foundation stone of the Cathedral tower was laid by His Grace the Primate of Australia with Bishop Montgomery conducting the service in the year of the 50th Anniversary of the Founding of the See and the 250th of the discovery of the Island by Abel Tasman.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

23 Murray Street
125 Macquarie Street
7000
Hobart
Tasmania
Australien

Technische Daten

134,51 ft
114,83 ft
1868
1936

Beteiligte Firmen

Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings