ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort
Daten als PDF

Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme

Identifikation

Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme
Thiepval Memorial to the Missing, Thiepval Memorial, Le Mémorial de Thiepval
291837

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Denkmal
existent [fertiggestellt]
Backstein
Kalkstein

Fakten

  • The memorial was opened by the Prince of Wales in the presence of the French President on 31st July 1932; a ceremony of remembrance is held here each year on 1st July.
  • The memorial manifests itself in the form of a huge stepped arrangement of intersecting arches with a 24-metre (80-feet) high central arch.
  • Clad largely in brick, the sixteen piers are clad with Portland stone on which the names of the dead are carved.
  • Thiepval is the largest memorial to the Missing from any war in which British soldiers have died.
  • The memorial commemorates the British and South African soldiers who died at the infamous Battle of the Somme up until 20th March 1918. Of the 72,085 remembered, 90% died during the period 1st July to 18th November 1918.
  • The memorial also celebrates the Anglo-French offensive on the Somme in 1916.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

80300
Thiepval
Picardie
Frankreich

Technische Daten

150,00 ft
1928
1932

Beteiligte Firmen

Sir Edwin Lutyens

Besondere Eigenschaften

  • Eines der bekannten Bauwerke dieser Stadt
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings