ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort
Daten als PDF

The Palm House

Identifikation

The Palm House
297724

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Flachbau
existent [fertiggestellt]

Nutzung

Gewächshaus

Fakten

  • The palm house is located in the middle of Sefton Park and forms its centrepiece.
  • Similar in style to The Crystal Palace and the Palm House in Kew Gardens in London.
  • Stands on a base of red granite from the Scottish island of Mull.
  • During WWII, the Palm House was camouflaged to prevent its glass becoming a landmark usable by enemy bombers.
  • In May 1941, a bomb that fell nearby shattered all of the glass, though the iron frame survived.
  • It cost more than £6,000 to replace the glass after the war.
  • The 'Friends of the Palm House’ raised over £35,000 for a partial restoration by allowing people to sponsor panes for £10 each.
  • Houses one of the largest botanical collections in Britain.
  • The building is now Grade II listed.
  • The building is open 365 days a year.
  • The palm house was given to the people of Liverpool as a gift by Henry Yates Thompson.
  • The 1990s saw a series of fundraising campaigns that led to its eventual restoration.
  • A £2.4 million grant from the British national lottery enabled a complete restoration to take place.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

Croxteth Drive
Sefton Park
L17
Greenbank
Liverpool
England
Großbritannien

Technische Daten

81,69 ft
98,43 ft
1896
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings