ok Wir nutzen Cookies auf unserer Internetseite, um Ihnen einen bestmöglichen Service zu ermöglichen. Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Ihr Standort

Corner House

Daten als PDF

Identifikation

Corner House
Old Corner House
307958

Karte

Struktur allgemein

Flachbau
existent [fertiggestellt]
Neo-klassisch

Nutzung

Wohn-Eigentum
Gewerbl. Büroflächen

Fakten

  • Converted from offices, the apartments still have the safes that were originally used to store gold bars used by prominent figures such as Cecil Rhodes and Barney Barnato.
  • Built in 1886 as a single-storey wood-and-iron shack called Beit's Building, it was converted into a two-storey brick building in 1893.
  • The building has a solid steel frame with wrought iron banisters for the staircase; the copper domed rooftop and the original green tiles are still intact.
  • Declared a National Monument, protected under the National Heritage Resources Act, No. 25 of 1999.
  • The 1904 addition by entrepreneur Hermann Eckstein was considered the city's finest office building with panelled offices and marble floors throughout.
  • The building was sold in the 1960s by owner Rand Mines to Barclays Bank, when they built a new office tower, Development Planning & Local Government Building, previously also named Corner House, down the road.
  • The two-storey building was upgraded with the seven-storey addition in 1904.

Brauchen Sie mehr Informationen zu dem Gebäude und den beteiligten Firmen?

Mehr Informationen

Ort

77 Commisioner Street
77 Commissioner Street with Simmonds Street
Johannesburg
Gauteng
Südafrika

Technische Daten

128,16 ft
10
1904

Besondere Eigenschaften

  • Nationales Denkmal
Fehler gefunden?
Related Buildings