Holon is situated to the southeast of Tel Aviv - Yaffo, adjacent to Bat Yam.
The modern-day city was founded in 1933 by Shlomo Grin. Four separate working-class neighbourhoods, Kiryat Avoda, Grin, Moledet, and Agrobank, grew rapidly due to a severe housing shortage in Tel Aviv during the late 1930s. They merged to form Holon, it's name deriving from the sandunes upon which it was built. (Holot means "sands" in Hebrew). Holon was subsequently awarded city status in 1950.
The city is home to half of the quaint 600-member community of Samaritans. Holon is also noted for its large urban parks - Holon has over 170 parks, 17 ornamental fountains and story-gardens.
The city prides itself with the Holon Technological Academic Institute, the world-famous Children's Museum, a state of the art Mediatheque and a new Design Museum.