Novosibirsk is the largest city in Siberia and the 3rd largest in the country. It was founded in 1893 as a settlement of builders of Trans-Siberian
Railroad bridge across Ob River and named Novonikolayevsk. Since 2000 the city is the center of the Siberian Federal District.
In the beginning of the twentieth century Novosibirsk was nicknamed 'Siberian Chicago' because of rapid population growth. The city expanded greatly during World War II as the Soviet Union moved its production away from German lines. By the early 1950s, Novosibirsk's inhabitants numbered greater than 1 million as the city became the main administrative, industrial and science center of western Siberia.
The city is home to Akademgorodok (Academytown) – one of the largest research, scientific and educational centers in Russia. City metro opened in 1985, contributing to the well-developed public transportation system. The city has two airports; one of which, Tolmachevo, is one of the busiest international airports in the country.
Novosibirsk continues its rapid growth as a number of residential and commercial developments are about to change the face of the city. The future looks bright for one of the 'Capital of Siberia'.