The area comprising the City of Blacktown has a long history - Aborigines belonging to the Daruk (Dharug; Dharruk; Darug) tribe certainly inhabited the area long before European settlement and archaeological evidence of their settlement has been found along creeks in the area. The first European settlement occurred at the base of Prospect Hill in 1792.
In 1906 the Shire of Blacktown was created by Local Government Act of 1906 with the first Council meeting was held at the Rooty Hill School of Arts. In 1930 Electricity came to Blacktown and by 1950 large residential and industrial estates were released.In 1961 Blacktown became a Municipality on 17th June and in 1979 Blacktown became a City.
The City of Blacktown now covers 45 suburbs and is situated approximately 35km from Sydney on the Cumberland Plain in the heart of Western Sydney at 60m above sea level.
Over the last several decades, Blacktown's growth has been sustained and rapid, contributing to its present status as the most populous City in New South Wales, the third largest in Australia behind Brisbane City & the Gold Coast and the eighth fastest growing City in Australia.