The largest suburb of Cleveland in Cuyahoga County by land area, Strongsville is located 15 miles from Downtown in Southwest Cuyahoga. Nearly the entire original township, founded in 1818 and named for early resident John Stoughton Strong of Vermont, was incorporated as a village in 1927. Farms disappeared as the opening of the Ohio Turnpike in 1955 spurred real estate development leading to incorporation as a city in 1960. Strongsville has seen rapid residential growth over the last twenty years even with a number of acres remaining preserved in the Cleveland Metroparks System. Two of the city's largest employers are Central Reserve Life and Van Dorn Demag.