Limbazi is typical town of Northern Latvia.
In prehistorical times here was Livonian settlement Lemiselle, it was harbour city connected to the sea by Svetupe river. In 1223 here has been built castle by bishop Albert. In 14th century Limbazi was member of Hanseatic league, economical centre of comparatively large region. Around 1385 Limbazi was second largest town after Riga in the area of present day Latvia.
In 16th century the Svetupe river silted up, harbour was not suitable for use, Limbazi was destroyed in continuous warfare. Development of town started again only at the end of 19th century, in 1934 here was built railway.
Today Limbazi is silent town. It has small but rather interesting historical centre, castle ruins.